I wrote to the Triangle two years ago in favor of a transition from a quarter system to trimesters. I’d like to think the current review of alternatives to quarters by our administration is a result of my benign influence, but I’m not quite silly enough to think that. Nevertheless I would like to address [...]
About Roger McCain
Author Archive | Roger McCain
Bill Moyers once said, “I’ll believe corporations are people when Texas executes one.” Is a corporation a person? That’s not an easy question to answer because the word “person” has more than one meaning. The word “person” can be used in a theological sense, though I doubt anyone means to claim that a corporation is [...]
Now that the elections are over, it is time to think about the federal debt. Most Americans seem to agree that our large federal debt is regrettable and ought to be reduced and eventually repaid. Because of the obstacles that are discussed in Keynesian economics, this will be difficult, if not impossible. At the least, [...]
In the year 2000, we recall that George W. Bush won the presidential election in the Electoral College, although Al Gore had a majority of the popular vote. (I’m ignoring any issues about the counting of the votes.) This stimulated some discussion of the possibility that the Electoral College might be eliminated by constitutional amendment [...]
Roger McCain The Occupy Wall Street movement that emerged in the summer and fall of last year was a creative new development in American politics. Their novel tactic of nonviolent mass trespassing will probably continue to influence events for years to come. It is becoming clear, however, that the Occupy movement will have to [...]
Roger McCain Often we have to make decisions without knowing for certain what the results will be. Deciding for whom to vote, or whom to marry or what occupation to follow are all examples. Game theory has a lot to say about that, and so does decision science. Businessmen face such decisions every day, [...]
- Univ. ends students’ housing contracts June 7, 2013
- Scholarship app simplifies search June 7, 2013
- Dillon signs extension through 2020 June 7, 2013
- Drexel rowing earns 19th place at IRA Regatta June 7, 2013
- Peace is still an option June 7, 2013
- How to save the USPS February 1, 2013
- University responds to tuition dispute January 13, 2012
- QE3 on horizon for US economy August 17, 2012
- Law school delays plans for new building April 29, 2011
- Occupy Wall Street dying down April 6, 2012
- Victoria Silvestti: Car accidents are happening frequently these days ...
- David Miller: I Love opera and classical music. What a shining r...
- Gout in ankle: It’s commendable when the servers have an in...
- Jam: Fucking ridiculous post. ...
- technology: Other notable tracks from the project include &ldq...