November 16, 2012 by Jennifer Lam
Fall is all about layering but not about the bulk. Here is a quick and easy way to recycle an unused button-up and transform it into a chic detachable collar. If you don’t have one of your own, find a cheap collared shirt at a thrift store. Once completed, pair this collar with a shirt or sweater with a high neckline for a polished, layered look.
Studs are used in this do-it-yourself, but other embellishments, such as beads, buttons, pearls or even sequins, can be used.
Materials: scissors, studs (optional) and pliers (optional)
- Look for a button-up shirt that has a sturdy collar. Structured collars work best with this project.
- Cut around the collar, keeping the button in the center. Be careful to not cut the seams.
- Place studs in desired place and push until the stud pierces the fabric (the stud is sharp!).
- Use pliers to fold the stud’s prongs in one at a time, securing the stud.
Chained Collar Tips
Materials: gold chain cut to desired length, clip-on earrings, two jewelry jump rings and tweezers
- Use tweezers to loosen jump rings. It is important to grasp one end of the ring and pull up vertically to avoid damaging the ring.
- Hook one end of the chain as well as the clip-on earring to one jump ring. Secure with tweezers.
Repeat the same procedure