In a recent interview with NPR, Ahmir “?uestlove” Thompson, drummer of legendary hip-hop group The Roots, said that rap artists age in dog years. This statement rings true as many rappers seem to peak in their mid-20s, saying all that is on their mind by the second or third album. Once the audience knows the […]
Tag Archives | kendrick lamar
It’s been two and a half years since Kid Cudi released a solo album. During that time, he released an experimental album with producer Dot Da Genius under the group name WZRD and more recently disaffiliated with Kanye West’s G.O.O.D. Music label, where he had been signed since 2008. The news surprised the majority of […]
At the end of 2011, before ever releasing a mixtape, A$AP Rocky signed a $3 million record deal with RCA and Polo Grounds Music. Just weeks later, on Halloween, Rocky unleashed his impressive mixtape, “Live.Love.A$AP,” and instantly became one of the next rising stars in hip-hop. After touring off of that mixtape again to hype […]
Ladies and gentlemen, it is that time of year again when I tell you what albums, mixtapes and songs you should have rocked with in 2012. I fill you in on what upset me the most this past year and what to look forward to if the Mayans were wrong and 2013 actually happens. Here […]
The word “classic” in hip-hop is one that cannot be used lightly. “Classic” albums withstand the test of time and are still highly regarded 10, 20 or even 30 years later. While there have been many incredible albums over the illustrious history of hip-hop, few debut albums have ever been able to accomplish what Kendrick […]
As summer rapidly approaches, it’s time to block off some dates on the calendar for an amazing group of concerts coming through Philadelphia over the next few months. It’s only right that we start with this week’s huge announcement from Jay-Z and Mayor Michael Nutter, in which they unveiled the Budweiser Made in America festival, […]
To kick off 2011, Philadelphia rapper Meek Mill signed a joint record deal with Warner Bros. and Rick Ross’ Maybach Music Group. Since then he has been featured on the label’s collaborative album, “Self Made,” and has released two installments of the “Dreamchasers” mixtapes. With his debut album, “Dreams and Nightmares,” coming Aug. 28, Meek […]
2011 was another great year for hip-hop. We had superstar collaborations, incredible debut and sophomore albums and exciting new artists emerging onto the scene. Take a look at my favorite albums, mixtapes and songs of the year. Top albums: 1. Jay-Z and Kanye West – “Watch The Throne” It’s hard to compete with either […]
On Feb. 13, 2009, Drake’s career took off. On that day, he released his critically acclaimed mixtape, “So Far Gone,” which almost won him a Grammy for the most popular song on that album, “Best I Ever Had.” Last June, he dropped his debut album, “Thank Me Later,” which sold 447,000 copies in its first […]
- Puppies bring cuddles to ease stress December 6, 2013
- Pennoni staff writer awarded $50,000 for art critiques December 6, 2013
- Dragons pull out two triple-OT victories December 6, 2013
- Moo Over This | Vitamins for vegetarians December 6, 2013
- W. basketball drops third consecutive game, 65-60 December 6, 2013
- How to save the USPS February 1, 2013
- QE3 on horizon for US economy August 17, 2012
- University responds to tuition dispute January 13, 2012
- Law school delays plans for new building April 29, 2011
- Occupy Wall Street dying down April 6, 2012
- Matt: I'm a liberal arts student, and no I don'...
- Drexel ENGINEER: So where do you suppose we find time in the alread...
- Marko: Indianapolis had 42,000 fans an st louis had close...
- @that_was_random: this movie was horrid. ...
- Edz: Congratulations both of you! You are a great honor...